Thursday 29 September 2022

Is it called Moonlighting or Sun lighting or Twilighting? Curious Question to Industry and Academia!

Dear Friends and Students

Moonlighting has become a critical issue in the IT Industry for the last few months. I think the industry is divided in support as well opposing this culture. Just for the people who do not know moonlighting, “it is having a second job, typically secretly and at night, in addition to one's regular employment”.

I have a curious question! Please look at the picture below. In 1995, I was a Trainee Faculty in a Computer Centre named DIMS (Data and Information Management Systems) in my hometown. During that period, I was studying in GITAM College of Engineering. In those days, it was affiliated to Andhra University.

Technically this type of work cannot be called Moonlighting because I don’t have a regular job and this is not a second job, I just joined to pick some experience and pocket money.

Traditionally it cannot be called a Day job as I am studying in the college and am a student during that period! Hence no Sun lighting!! Coining new terms??

We cannot call it a Part time job. It is called part time if we are doing some full-time job. The true definition is- “A part-time job is a form of employment that carries fewer hours per week than a full-time job.”

We cannot call it Internship/apprentice also because during Internship, we learn skills from the organization. Here I am teaching/imparting skills and probably I am trying to give skills to someone!!

What do you suggest in this case? Can we call it Twilighting? Does it sound good? Any other suggestions?

Definition of Twilight: the light from the sky between full night and sunrise or between sunset and full night produced by diffusion of sunlight through the atmosphere and its dust also.

Curious!!

Note: The inspiration behind this post is to promote the concept of Twilighting among the student community. Twilighting adds responsibility, opportunity to develop skills, leadership qualities and many more to learn.

Somebody asked me what is your opinion about moonlighting? In my view, it is always acceptable if we do it transparently with mutual consent between employer and employee.

Students, will you attempt Twilighting?

Ravi Saripalle




No comments:

Post a Comment