Friday 5 May 2023

Maximizing the Impact of Your Internship Applications: The Crucial Role of Expression and Presentation in Cover Letters and Statements of Purpose

 Dear Friends and Students

Today I received the below picture and message from my LinkedIn Contact Dr. Joerg Storm. See the picture below.

“A six-year-old boy came home with a note from his teacher. The teacher wanted to see his parents the next day for an emergency interview. They asked their son if he knew why his teacher wanted to see them. He replied: “The teacher did not like my drawing. The next day the parents went to school for the interview. The teacher put the drawing sheet on the table. “I asked him to draw his family and he drew this!” The teacher said with a worried look in her eyes. "No problem," said the mother with a smile in her voice. “This was our family vacation. We went snorkeling in the Bahamas”.

This story looks funny! The teacher might have misunderstood the intention and would have appreciated the creativity. However, the context I am writing is for a bigger cause!

AICTE has mandated all Engineering students should go for 2 times internships. Many students started applying! They started writing to various companies. While many students are writing professionally, I have seen a few cases which require more professionality, substance, and clarity. They are highly required, otherwise, they may not even receive an acknowledgment.

Let me share a few examples so that you can understand what is missing.

"Hello Sir/Madam, I am interested in interning with your company. Please give me an internship. Thank you."- This letter is too brief and lacks any kind of introduction or explanation as to why the student is interested in interning with the company. Additionally, the tone is too informal and the grammar and punctuation errors make the letter appear unprofessional.

"Hey guys! I'm looking for an internship for the summer. Do you have any spots open? I think I'd be a great fit for your company. Hit me up if you're interested! Thanks!"- This letter is overly casual and lacks the professional tone expected in a job or internship application. The informal language and lack of attention to detail make it unlikely that the company will take the applicant seriously.

"To Whom It May Concern, I am interested in applying for your internship program. I am confident that I have the necessary skills and experience to excel in this role. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Sincerely, [Student Name]"-While this letter is more formal and professional in tone, it still lacks any real substance or detail about

Dear Students, out of 100 applications, you may get responses to a max of 10 or 15. Still, there is no guarantee for conversion. Please take the internship seriously. It helps to gain valuable experience, develop important skills, and make connections in their field.

When you have to start your first internship- I suggest starting your first internship at the end of the first year, first semester.

Is it too early? No, in my view, it is actually late!!

Do I need to apply on my own, or should someone else write the application for me? You should try it as that is the major learning in your career! You will understand ground realities!

Happy interning!

Ravi Saripalle



No comments:

Post a Comment